Tuesday, August 2, 2016

July 15, 2016

Mother!

We went with two other office elders to the volcano. It was awesome! It was just really foggy when we went. Like so foggy we couldn't see.

Mom why are you asking me when I come home?! Just kidding its probably so you know when to put ''make chicken squares for Jacob when he comes home'' on the calendar. I come home the 14th of September. But that’s a long way off! And yes my card came. It came as promised in 2-3 days.

My week has been good. We went on a three-day tour of the mountain region of our zone (3 zones). It was fun to get to go back to Chimaltenango and see some people I love there. The missionaries in the mountains are doing great. On Wednesday we went to the zone Patzicia and went and did divisions with all the elders in that zone (3 pairs of elders). I was very impressed. I love the people from the mountains. The culture is so different but the principles to working with the people are always the same: working with a smile and having a sincere desire to build the church. People have a very closed mentality there so working with members (the key!!) is the biggest thing. The members can get into houses and speak to people in a way they can understand (often times because they don’t speak Spanish!). But I had a lot of fun. Lots of driving. I am getting a little tired of driving. People here are offensive drivers in every sense of the word haha. Now we will work in our area for these next couple days.

Mom, the coast baptizes more because they resemble the people spoken of in Alma 32 and the seed can grow much faster in a humble heart. People tend to be much more receptive there. The problem there is the retention. Commitments are easily broken, even the baptismal covenant. I love the people of the coast.

Hmmm....seeing young missionaries....I just remember how it was for me when I started the mission. Thinking ''ahhh this is so hard'' at first and then learning to love it. So just seeing them makes me remember that and want to encourage them and make them feel good. Missions go by fast!

Thanks for the questions Mom, I often don’t really know what to say anymore! Thank you for everything.

Love,

Elder Smith






No comments:

Post a Comment