Thursday, April 9, 2015

From the "other" paradise (March 31, 2015)

How goes it there in Hawaii?! The Hilburns and the Smiths partying it up as always! That looks like so much fun! Drink an extra pina colada for me and save me some sand. Tell Matt to lay off the nachos, you’re still in swim season bro! And poor Hilburns...have to travel with the Plane Traumatizer...Kathryn Smith! Those are some memories made right there. I remember that vividly mother, Kathryn sneaks out a small ''I don’t feel very good'' and every one hits the deck! Exaggerating but that’s how it is! Hope everything goes well and you locos enjoy your vacation!

Well I will just recount one experience we had this week that was eye opening in many levels! We had an impromptu family night this week with a less active family and last minute they invited a nonmember family and a 13 year old that can possibly be baptized this week.

Lesson #1: There are always miracles when we work with the members. I have knocked so many doors thus far and will continue doing so but there is a better way! Every member a missionary.   It was very unplanned so I had to think on my feet a little bit, so I decided to do a little lesson on repentance and play a little game/example with them (15 or 16 people). We shared some different scriptures and bore testimony of the atonement and the repentance process. The spirit was very strong. I could tell that some people in that room (investigators, converts, less actives, faithful members) really needed to hear the Good News.

Lesson #2:  The Atonement is for EVERYONE because it is infinite and stretches out to include all of us and every part.

Lesson #3: Talking about the Atonement always brings the spirit because it is so sacred. It can change attitudes and thoughts and behaviors and the Spirit of a room.   We then played a game that Elder Palma taught me. Basically we all stood in a circle and at two opposite ends of a circle were two ties: one red and one white. The red represents the end of our lives, death. And the white represents repentance. While the red tie one must throw one loop and with the white one must do two. After doing the required loops, you pass it to the right and wait for the other tie. The trick is that at some point, the death will pass to someone before they had completed the two loops with the white tie. At that point they have died before they repented! A bit harsh but that is the reality. It was pretty hilarious because no one wants to die so the kids (and even the adults) were screaming and causing a ruckus and trying to do the loops as fast as they could. Eventually a man that only has the use of one arm received the red tie (totally unplanned...felt bad) and the game stopped. I asked him how he felt. He said ''mas o menos'' or more or less.

Lesson #4: If this happens to us, we will feel a bit worse than mas o menos. It will be the gnashing of teeth that is prophesied in the scriptures. 

Lesson #5: The reality hurts. And there are millions that ignore the pain.

Lesson #6: Parables and games and examples are what people enjoy and will eventually remember.  These kind of experiences I will never forget, because in all the fun and noise that existed in that game was a Principle. That we must always repent. And do it fast.

I love my mission so far. I have learned so much and every day I learn double. There are hard things and there are hard moments. But as I have tried to thrust in my sickle, I have found here some of the greatest moments of joy. There is nothing better! We have interviews tomorrow with President. I am looking forward to that and to be taught by him! He is so awesome and I love him.

And I love you guys too! I hope you guys get the chance to relax with the sand in your toes and just chill! And that Kathryn can hold it in on the plane ride home. Luv ya K (:

Amorosamente (no se si esta es una palabra)

Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment