Familia!
How is everyone now? All adjusting to home life again after Aspen (Grove)? Always love the vacation
time of June through August. Isn’t it coming to a close? When does school
start?
Well this week was a bit more normal, there weren’t any meetings or
anything weird so we just WORKED and worked. I love weeks like we had,
especially with a new companion that got to have his first taste at baptism. It
is always very memorable for new missionaries to have their first baptism. I
remember that like yesterday when I was in Santa Lucia. Her name is Froila and
is about 60 years old. I didn’t know if she would be able to handle the
teaching because she is a little bit slow on the understanding part, but I
could see the Spirit working in her as she remembered everything we taught her.
She was a street contact we had about a month and a half ago. We were
contacting one day at night and I felt impressed to talk to her and I followed
it and she was very receptive and we set a time to talk to her. We went to her
house the next day and set a baptismal date. But after that...nothing. Couldn’t
find her anywhere for like three weeks. But then she went to church 3 times and
the rest is history. So fun to see miracles.
Love my companion. He is very different from my last companion in
almost everything and I know God sent him to teach me something different. I
love that counsel from Uncle Scott on helping your companions be the best
missionary in the whole mission. I haven’t thought about that until now but
that is in essence what training is all about. My goal has always been that
they can be a better missionary than I when they leave me or I leave them. I
hope the same for Elder Casillas. He is very funny and he has a lot of dry ''Matthew''
humor that makes me laugh a ton. We started out a little rough and thank you so
much Mom for your extra prayers because I think I needed them. But we are now
in sync and I know what I have to do to help him be the best he can. We have
started out on the road to Damascus and sometimes its a rough road but the
journey is worth it. Every step.
Ahhh I never know what to write. Just can’t believe I am approaching
a year. It goes by so fast. I have changed a lot but there is so much more to
go and I will keep changing and learning every single day. The mission is
literally the BEST place to change a life. If you let it (thanks Mom). Matt get
ready and prepare yourself well.
Love you my family so much. From Guatemala to California. A great
big hug!
Elder Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment