Sunday, November 22, 2015

November 3, 2015 - The Month of Five

Hello Familia Eterna!

Hope everyone had a wonderful week, I sure did! Matt I am at the extreme level of jealousy of that picture you sent me. I will probably go back to lifeguard training just to ride in a helicopter. That is pretty incredible. And KK thank you for the picture letter! I loved that. 

Yesterday we had interviews with President Markham. WOW I learned so much and I sure do love my mission president. He read with me in John 1 41-42 and then asked me ''Have you found Him?'' I replied that I am finding Him. I love those kind of introspective questions that make me want to be better and to also recognize the progress I’ve made.  Also as a mission we are focusing on baptizing families. He asked me what I was willing to give up to baptize a family of 5 in November. Alma 22:18 immediately came to mind. He really pumped me up and I was ready to find a family.

And we found the family 2 hours after the interviews were over. Elder Guzman and I went home and decided to go to a place in our area called El Mango. It is a really big community with a lot of prepared people, the only thing is that it takes 20 minutes by bus to get there. So that makes things hard to get people to church and manage our time wisely. But we went and decided to visit some really positive people I found last week in divisions. We knocked on all the doors of those people and....zippo no one was home. We looked at each other and decided to travel to another colony about a 10 minute walk away to find other people that Elder Guzman had found in divisions. As we were leaving this little street to get out onto a main road, we saw a family struggling to carry like half a tree to their house so that could have firewood. We immediately asked if we could help. They accepted. When we got to their house, they invited us in. We called like the whole neighborhood as well but only the old grandpa could come. As we started the lesson....wow I have never felt the Spirit so strong. Just incredible. We testified of eternal families and I pulled out the picture of the Guatemalan temple that you guys sent in the box. They were completely mesmerized by the picture. We found out that the grandpa was a widow of like 20 years. He told us that he always wondered why he would be with his wife for 50 years and then all of a sudden God would leave him alone. A remarkable observation from an almost 90 year old I would say! We then continued with the lesson and challenged them to get married on the 21st of November. They accepted without hesitation. Then we invited them to be baptized on the 22st of November. They accepted without hesitation. It was one of those moments I think I will remember forever. So if you guys could pray for the Caceres family that would be awesome. I gave them the picture of the temple. If you guys could send me some more of those that would be awesome! There are so many people in Guatemala that just want to be baptized. When I was with them I felt like I had known them before. I think I did. I love being a missionary!

In other news. This week was dia de los santos! It just happened that it fell on a Sunday so no one went to church! Yeah! It was funny because our whole area was just crazy on Saturday and Sunday. The chapines like their beer.... I also got to try ''Fiambre'' twice this week, look it up. It is just basically a grand mixture of all the type of hot dog you can imagine with vinegar, olive oil, and eggs and vegetables. It was delicious.

Dad to answer some of your q's.
1. just an internet cafe. the computers here are pretty nice but can give you a good virus if you’re not careful
2. Fiambre!!! With the stake press parents and with recent converts
3. I love serving and being able to exercise charity.
4. Monday pday / Tuesday district meeting and divisions / Wednesday divisions /  Thursday weekly planning or leadership council /  Friday divisions /  Saturday baptism interviews /  Sunday Sabbath day.
5. Yes I do! Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder how old they are but then I just try to be patient!
6. The lesson I told about.
7. I spilled a hot soup that my companion had just made 1 minute before all over him at 7:30 in the morning. Then yesterday he spilled a plateful of salsa all over my front. That was pretty funny.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Elder Smith







No comments:

Post a Comment