Oh man how I’ve missed the coast. I am in la Zona Escuintla and
specifically in the Golondrinas Ward. We cover 3 areas: Golondrinas 1 and 2 and
the Ward El Esfuerzo. We have a giant hugely big area but I am loving it. It
feels like coming home because the people are the exact same as they were when
I was born in Santa Lucia. And its HOT. But as President Markham told me on my
first day in the misión ''We don’t call it sweat, we call it sweet.'' So without
doubt I will be sweating like a dog every day till Christmas. And maybe beyond.
Well like you saw mom and dad they called me as a zone leader. I had an interview with President before the change meeting
started and he told me that the Lord had called me to be a zone leader. My mind
was going in loops because I didn’t feel I was prepared and I looked around me
and saw dozens of competent and able elders to do the job. But I was
immediately reassured by the Holy Spirit that the Lord trusted me to be able to
do it and that He had been preparing me for a long long time. Basically
being a zone leader is this: My companion and I are leaders of a zone of
18 missionaries. We do zone trainings (first
one was today) and we have to do 3 divisions every week (that is when we Split
up and one Elder comes to our area to work with me or my companion and then the
other Elder goes to the other area to work). We also had a meeting with all the zone leaders
and assistants in the house of pres and sis Markham. We ate these
delicious pancakes and sloppy joes. It was great.
My companion is so awesome. He is the funniest, most full of life,
most touchy person I have ever met. His name is Elder Guzmán and he is my first
companion from Nicaragua. He was my zone leader for 3 changes in Amatitlán so
when they put us together last Wednesday we were super excited because we are
already good buddies. He is a convert that is more converted than most born
from the covenant members. He has so many skills and traits that he has
developed and is a very very hard worker. I think I will be with him for 2
changes. Its going to be a blast. We already have a full on soccer
tournament planned for the zone for our next pday that will be awesome.
Just a couple of funny’s:
1. My second day here I fell in a river. And it was dirty. Real
dirty.
2. Elder Guzmán left the keys in the house one morning when we left
to drop off our dirty clothes. End result: 3 angry neighbors, 2 used ladders, 1
frayed rope that Elder Smith used to scale down our patio, and one morning
destroyed completely! It was frankly hilarious.
I love being a missionary in the best misión in the whole world. We
have a ton of progressing investigators right now that are right there and
prepared to be baptized. I feel so blessed to be where I am and serving my
beloved Guatemaltecos and sweating my buns off in Escuintla. Have a good week
my family, know that I always have you in my prayers.
Also grandma thank you sooooo much for the package. It was a
wonderful welcome home present when I got home on Wednesday night! loved the
Candy and the tie and the brownies were a hit!
Love,
Elder Jacob Freeman Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment