That
means COLD LAND. My body is still adjusting to the frio here. I’ve spent almost
a whole year of my mission in the coast and I am definitely feeling it! I wear
a sweater almost everywhere and last Saturday we had to wake up to go to a
meeting and I went dressed as a skier with my scarf and beanie and gloves, etc.
But
really I am loving Chimaltenango. My companion Elder Diaz is probably the
funniest human being ever and we are getting along super well. We found quite a
few people last week and worked our tails off. We got part of the family to
church that I wrote about last week. At first he was a little reluctant to go
to church because his wife had to work on Sunday morning but Elder Diaz and I
went to his house at 7 (church starts at 8 here) and used all our powers of
persuasion to get him to church.....he ended up taking us to church in his
pickup. It was pretty funny because last week we were led to each one of his
family members that lives in the same block and now the whole family is
listening. More updates on them to come.
We
baptized on Sunday! It was awesome. He is the son of a convert that my trainer
Elder Palma baptized a year and a half ago. Elder Palma is still helping me!
The first time I got there to teach him on Wednesday we finish the prayer and
he says ''I don’t want to get baptized''. WHAT? Ha-ha he is like 9 years old.
So after lots of patience (we played with his toys for 2 lessons to demonstrate
baptism in a bowl full of water) and practice (he put on his white clothes and
had his dad baptize him above water for 2 lessons) and a last minute panic
attack (we couldn’t heat the font and he thought he was going to drown) he got
baptized. It was cool. Those moments always seem to motivate the family of the
kids that get baptized. We are helping them get to the temple soon. I think the
baptism of their son is a big push in that direction.
We have 4
or 5 more people preparing for baptism for this week. This area is seeing some
real progress and its great to be part of it. The ward needs some help that we
are ready to give. I have seen that when I have focused on helping the wards I’ve
been in; Heavenly Father prepares the way for more of his children to enter
into the baptismal font. How can we put more food in the fridge if the
refrigerator isn’t cold and ready to help and protect what’s in it?? Just a
thought for that solid Rocklin CA stake of yours.
Well I
sure love you guys. Like a lot. I feel your love from each one, Dad, Mom Matthew
and Kathryn. Congrats to Matt on his acceptance to BYU and KK for her
persistence (you could be the best missionary ever KK.).
Keep
living the Gospel,
Elder Smith
To Kathryn-
GET THE DOG
KK GET THE DOG! I WANT ONE WHEN I COME HOME TOO!!!!
It is
really cold here KK. I use a sweater sometimes!
No comments:
Post a Comment