Tuesday, December 2, 2014

December 2, 2014 - Changing

Hello my family!

Happy one day late birthday Papa! I love you 1000 times more being 1000 miles away from you. Same goes for all you guys. Hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanked the pioneers for all the turkey they brought to this great land of America. How miraculous was that miracle. Mommy to answer your question the Guatamaltecos could care less about thanksgiving...Elder Raudales thought it was a weird thing to do. But I think on that day I had chicken pieces, which is kind of like thanksgiving. But oh how I thought of the mashed potatoes I was missing! I hope you all ate an extra portion for me. Sounded like a fun week for you all with the family in town and dinners and turkey bowl. And congrats to mom and dad for finishing your second eagle project. I can do anything my parents put their minds to! Matthew good job too.

This week I have been receiving a lot of instruction and corrections (called machete) from Elder Raudales. He is just worried I think that when he leaves I won’t be able to carry on the work. He really wants the best for me but it has been hard week of stretching and growing and learning. I learned that I need to WANT to change if I really am to make these necessary changes that I need to make to be able to be a messenger of Jesus Christ. It begins with this desire. But oh how hard it is to change my stubborn self! But I know that through the Saviors Atonement I can do all. It hurts but that’s because I am shedding parts of me that are not good. Mom it reminded me of that one part of the book (Chronicles of Narnia) where Eustace becomes a dragon and to become himself again he has to have Aslan tear through his old skin. It’s painful but necessary. The Lord is always willing to change us if we are willing to let Him. I am coming to the point where I am letting Him. This life is all about repentance isn’t it? All about becoming better than you were the day before and bettering yourself. Will you guys pray that I can make the necessary changes that I need to to be a successful missionary?

We found a really awesome man this week that I really believe will be baptized. His name is Gonzalo and he is the humblest and sweetest old man I have ever met. He lives in a part of our area that takes 30 minutes to walk to…uphill. Anyway when we found him we were out of breath and tired as ever! Anyways we found him this week and he is so willing to do everything that we tell him. So willing to learn, so willing to pray, so willing to change. He is a great example for me. We will be continuing to teach him this week. We have a few other investigators that should be entering the waters of baptism in the coming weeks. People just need to come to stinking church! We teach and teach and teach and teach all week and people are so pilas but then when it comes to Sunday all we see are empty chairs and broken commitments... I am exaggerating a little bit but it gets discouraging sometimes. But it is my fault for not letting them see the importance of this commitments. Just another thing I need to work on.

Passed my first full month in the mission field. I think I learned more this November than in any month in my whole life. It’s good. And don’t worry; I am still happy. I am learning to love the growing and humbling and changing process. That’s why I am here is it not?! I don’t want you guys to recognize the person that I become. I want to be totally different.

Have an excellent week and remember that HE IS THE GIFT.


Elder Smith

PS (to Kathryn) - LOVE you my beautiful sister of mine. Keep being awesome and sleeping and decorating my room. IT BETTER NOT BE PINK




No comments:

Post a Comment