Monday, June 20, 2016

June 7, 2016 - Stand All Amazed

This was a good week.

And also just insane. I was with my own companion working for just 2 full days out of the 7. I love weeks like that. We just worked and worked and at the end of the week... 4 baptisms. Elder Garcia and I finished changing after the second baptismal service and just looked at each other in amazement like ''Is this real?''

We baptized 2 in our own ward and 2 in the San Martin Branch. Both were single mothers with one of their sons, funny how that worked out. I will tell you more about the ones in my ward when I get back. But the 2 from San Martin...wow...what a miracle. I went on divisions last Thursday with a returned missionary I had never met from another ward and went and talked to them. I hadn’t seen them for a little less than a week. The kid, Jose, 17 years old, straight up told me to start the lesson that he didn’t want to get baptized. I said a silent prayer in my mind, asking the Spirit to speak for me. I can’t remember what was said, but I made him a promise and I challenged him to pray. That night he got his answer. The next day he found work (the promise). Friday. I went on divisions with another missionary and then the mom didn’t want to get baptized. The member stepped in that is fellowshipping. He finished talking and then the Elder by my side simply says ''So. Sister, what do you have to do?'' ''Get baptized.'' We baptized them at 3 o’clock on Sunday. I am amazed, week by week, how the Lord touches hearts. I feel extremely blessed in this time. I have never taught so many people at one time or felt so busy. I love it.

That was the high, but as we all know, life has its downs as well! I don’t believe I have shared too many of my ''down'' moments with you all in the 20 plus months I have been here. I have written even less in my journal, simply because I don’t have too many! But this week I had one. On Friday night to Saturday morning I was just feeling not good. Sick. Discouraged. Just not me. I knew that I couldn’t be that way because a lot of people and missionaries were counting on me to do my best that day full of planning and baptismal interviews and teaching. I started my personal study feeling the same on Saturday morning. I wrote in my study journal and at the same time asking God ''Jake, why are you here?'' He answered! I read that day Jacob 1:19 and 2 NE 33:15 and felt as if God was talking to me. Their words became my words. I was simply prompted to stop thinking about myself. I started thinking about what I needed to do and the people I love that I am teaching and helping and what I felt simply disappeared. I think every missionary has their moments like that. It was a good learning experience and life lesson. Its all about taking the mirror of selfishness from before our face and looking outward to those who need us. That’s the cure.

I love you guys. Lots of what I have learned here are things I have noticed in you mom and dad all my life. I hope I can continue putting them in practice forever.

We went to Antigua as a zone. I’ll try to throw in some pictures!

Basically I am loving life and counting down the days until my big buddy Rene gets baptized on Friday at 6:30. That'll be a legendary day.

Love you guys a ton,


Elder Smith


 PDay  June 6, 2016



 Chimaltenango Zone visiting Antigua


No comments:

Post a Comment