I’m
pretty sure that’s how the quote goes! I recently have just had to put that
optimistic quote/maxim in practice, just for things that have been going on
here. Honestly everything is great, the zone is doing fantastic and our area as
well. But Elder Bazzell and I had a tough experience yesterday with ignoring a
prompting that we both were receiving and we paid the consequences! Nothing
dangerous or anything like that, but we definitely learned our lesson. That is
probably an after the mission story. But I have found through my time here that
on EVERY day we need to learn and live. I told Elder Bazzell how grandpa (Throckmorton) would always say that and
he asked me ''What is more important? A good day or a bad one?'' Good question!
All I know is that we do need to LEARN from our mistakes and not repeat them.
That is wisdom. And then LIVE our lives with the wisdom acquired.
Well I
have to tell you guys about Tomas. He is the coolest old guy I have ever taught
the gospel to. He just recently got his left leg amputated and has some very
serious health challenges that are expected here in Guatemala for an above 80
year old. He sits in his wheelchair all day and carves wooden chairs. Victoriano
(who we baptized in December) brought us to his house one day after he had
preached the gospel to him a little first. We were on divisions with 2 other
elders the day we met him and we had the two elders teach the lesson and
challenge him for baptism in the first lesson. They got half way through the
lesson and Tomas challenged HIMSELF to be baptized. We just sat there
like......what.... He went to church this last Sunday and loved it. We
went back with him the same day to check up on him and he expressed some doubts
on how he was going to be baptized by immersion (because of his very serious health challenges). We sat there for a couple minutes
thinking of solutions. As we did so, we read a couple scriptures in the BOM
about miracles and faith as we waited for the answer. Then it happened! It was
the coolest thing ever! One by one, the five people that were in the lesson got
a piece of revelation on how to baptize him in the most convenient way
possible. Then we wrote it all down and now he will be baptized in the name of
Jesus on the 31st of January. It will take some serious planning and practice,
but we have the faith here in Escuintla! It was seriously one of the most faith
building experiences ever. He said ''I accept this baptism. I’m already convinced, you just need to find a
way to baptize me!'' ''Remember I don’t know how to swim.'' ''I want to show
God that I DO want to get baptized. I want to do it.'' There’s no stopping a
faith like that!
We
finally baptized the first of the 3 people that are to be baptized in this less
active family. It was a fantastic service and the less active mom who hadn’t
been to church in over 25 years came to the service. The grandma has been
faithfully supporting her grandchildren along this whole process and she has
had her conversion take place yet again, 30 years later. You guys would love to
meet them; I always feel like I am at a Smith family reunion when I teach them.
We will be baptizing 2 more on the 31st of January from this family. The Joys
of Reactivation!
Well
family, I’m off to watch a worldwide missionary broadcast. The Lord is leading
us out to a new direction in the work of salvation. Lots of things are
changing. The Lord is Hastening His Work. And I am part of it.
LOOOOOOVE,
No comments:
Post a Comment