Tuesday, February 10, 2015

February 10, 2015 -Changes!

Buuuuenos familia,

The moment you’ve all been waiting for....New companion!! His name is Elder Martinez from Tegucigalpa, Honduras. He is an excellent missionary. New district leader and has 13 months in the mission. We are getting along really well and I am trying to put into practice all I learned from Elder Palma in regard to unity and demonstrating love to others. It was hard to say goodbye to Elder Palma but he sent me an email saying that he has like 5 dates planned for this week so I don’t think he is missing me too much. This is going to be a fun change and one of miracles! This is my 3rd change in Rio Santiago and I never want to leave these people that reject me so often! Seriously I love this area and the people here and I think I know the land better than some of the people that live here!

Kayler didn’t get baptized this week. This is like the 3rd time that this has happened (we have interviewed him and then something happens on Sunday and he doesn’t get baptized) and I was really frustrated this Sunday because this has happened so often and because I truly wanted to start off this change with Elder Martinez with a baptism. I was actually frustrated this time (which is weird because I am usually even keeled and all that stuff you have told me mom) and impatient and a little bit angry. All emotions that impede the Spirit and His Guide. In my prayers on Sunday night I asked Heavenly Father what I need to learn and why Kayler hasn’t been baptized yet (he could’ve been baptized the 28th of December!) and complaining, etc. And then He told me to read the following morning in Preach My Gospel the Patience section in Developing Christlike Attributes. And regularly when He tells me something I try to be obedient...so I read it and the following scriptures. ''Bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.'' Bam. Answer from the Book of Mormon. Piercing the heart of Elder Smith! I love those moments. I learned that when our actions are full of hope and faith, we won’t have to worry about the Lords timing. We just have to be patient and do ALL WE CAN to bring to pass the fruit of His Work. That was my revelation/Book of Mormon moment of the week. If you guys could send me some of your own I would love that!!!

Elder Martinez is a stud! He doesn’t speak any English really so I am really glad I have learned to communicate a little bit. Elder Palma helped me a ton with that. We spent P day cleaning the house. This house is always filthy and has burnt sugar cane pieces all over it that we sweep out daily. I don’t think I’ve mentioned that but the peeps burn the sugar cane before they waste their lives cutting it and there is always ''black snow´'' as they call it in the air and in our clothes and in our house! Elder Martinez walks even faster than Elder Palma and Elder Raudales. We are working like locos and we are so exhausted all of the time but it feels so good.

On Saturday night we had a Fellowship Night at a members house. 30 members and one new investigator showed up so it was a good turnout. One funny thing that always happens at family nights, fellowship nights, sacrament meeting, Sunday school, elders quorum is that whenever the speaker runs out of material or if he/she feels uncomfortable they will always without fail say ''I don’t know, what do the Elders think?'' That is like the key word that means Elders take over. So I always have to treasure up the words of life at all times to be ready for these moments! During this particular fellowship night last Saturday they, for some reason, had set up a huge sound system with a microphone and music and everything in this tiny, tiny, tiny, little house. So when this moment came I jumped right up there and preached from the Book of Mormon and shared a message about obedience. And Elder Martinez is a little shy and had never done this in his life so this branch and I had to coax him up to the mic on his 3rd day here and edify the members! It was awesome and a really cool way to introduce him to the members.

Btw....there was some craziness that happened during changes and I lost my memory card for my camera....I have basically sent all the cool pictures that I have taken and Elder Palma has all the pictures of everything for this past change. Well actually I have them because I have his SD card! Like I said some craziness happened. But don’t worry I will take care of this new one and take tons of pictures.

Glad Kathryn had a sweet bday. Tell Grandma to get better and that I will continue to pray for her every night. I have a prayer list that I pray for every night and know that Alan and Lisa and Matthew and Kathryn Smith are on it every night! I hope everything is well. Keep enduring to the End. If you must change- change. Never forget to love a little more.

Elder Smeet

No comments:

Post a Comment