Tuesday, January 27, 2015

January 27, 2015 - Last week of Celebration!


This is my last week with Elder Palma. We decided on Sunday that this week would be a week of celebration, so we are celebrating one thing everyday and making some kind of dinner every night to celebrate. We are going to microwave a cake or something tonight I think! I love Elder Palma. He has taught me so many things for which I am forever grateful. I am sad to be sending him off into the Great Unknown but I know I will love my next comp equally or more. I have learned from Elder Palma how to love. I regret some of the times I wasted to say or express my love in my first 19 years in the home but I am glad I am learning how now! Love. It is one thing to say it, another to show it, another to know it. You can quote me on that. Dad, you asked me to share my most spiritual experience this week? It was 1 Nephi 21:16. I read it yesterday and it struck me, ''sunk deep into my heart'' so to speak. It’s in that chapter in Isaiah where it talks about the Savior never leaving us and it says something like we are "engraven in His hands". And that was for love. So much imagery associated with that. I shared this with Elder Palma in our comp study and told him that even though he is not engraven in my hands, he is engraven in my heart, because of love. I realized the ones we love the most are the ones we suffer for, live for and perhaps even with. That is why I love you guys the most and why each of you is engraven in my heart. I am only beginning to understand this concept but it has helped me tremendously.

This week we had the confirmation of Hermana Mariela. She has changed so much and is so pilas (that means like awesome or really cool) and has the light of Christ in her countenance. Now all we have to do is reactivate her family and baptize her brothers! I have faith. We set a baptismal date for this next Sunday with Hermanito Kayler. I have been praying and hoping hard that we would have a baptism the last Sunday of Elder Palmas mission and it is looking really good that it will come to pass! That will be sweet! We are still looking and doing our best to find new investigators and a miracle family to baptize. It is hard and almost everyone has been  goats. We have the faith to find though! Please include that in your prayers, that we will be able to find the sheep.

To answer your questions Dad:
We go to church from 9 to 12. There is ward council once a month supposedly but we have only seen one. We have a ward mission leader, Hermano MIKE. He is a stud. We have a meeting with him every Friday night. The branch is starting to help us more but it is hard because it is a branch. They kind of rely on us a lot but that’s no excuse. We have been going around a couple times a week and doing an activity with the members where we have them take a piece of paper, draw three columns and write down Familia, Friends, and Neighbors in each. Then Elder Palma and I sing a song while the members write down as many names as they know in each of the columns. Then we challenge them to pray for three consecutive nights for each column. Then in the spirit of prayer they are to choose one name in each. Then we come back after 4 days and schedule a time to have a family night or night of fellowship (that doesn’t translate right) with the people that they chose. Most people have either not prayed or lost their lists but we have a couple of lessons scheduled and are glad that the members are willing to help us. And all the American food was gone before Christmas..... That was so good send more! If you want me to send a list of things I need I will make one.

I am ready for this next change because Elder Palma has been preparing me. I know I will love my next companion but I will miss Elder Palma and our companionship and friendship. He has family in LA so I will see him again.

I love you all,
Elder Smith

From Elder Palma:
Woow!!! Hermana Colemas was in my district i was her district leader please say hello to herman a Coleman.   Thnk you so much    (Sister Coleman completed her mission several months ago and is a friend of Jacobs aunt Lori. She had asked us to say hello to them.   She spoke VERY highly of both of Jacobs companions and said they were the best of the best:)

Well Your son is awesome and he help ma so mucht to be better day by day.  Thank to you sended him to the mission. 
The past week I had my english test and E. Smith helped me to have confidance and trust in me and my skill, and that was cool. 
This is my last week in the missionary field and I am so glad to be with elder Smith he is my brother we will enjoy this last week.  This week we learned about love and charity.  One of the scripture that help me to remember E. Smith is Provervios 17:17 (sorry i dont know how is in englis)
I love your son he is my best companion. I will always remember him.

We LOVE Elder Palma and will miss him too!  He has been so kind to write us notes and sends almost all the pictures we have:)  We are so grateful for him and his kind influence on Jacob.

Antigua

Rio Santiago

No comments:

Post a Comment